Friday, November 03, 2017

GREEN APPLE SMOOTHIE


A Green Apple Smoothie recipe is the ultimate nutritious addition to your morning. Loaded with fruits and vegetables, this smoothie starts your day off right!

A super smoothie if there ever was one – spinach and apples blended with banana lemon and honey. Totally delicious. Totally refreshing. And I totally think I am in smoothie love!

Because today, the day after one of the most indulgent days of the year, green smoothie love is the best kind of love!!

Loaded with so many vitamins, minerals and all those good things, this gluten free and vegan possible smoothie will make your tummy very happy.

And I promise you can’t even taste the spinach!

I love the fact that this super smoothie has a kind of tart but kind of sweet but kind of distinct Green Apple Flavour. Just like candy. If that makes any sense at all.

But, like, healthy candy.

Side Note: I have candy on the brain lately. This last post but definitely all about the nature’s healthy candy too. You know it’s the holidays when your body is craving all the candy and sweet treats.

And it’s super refreshing and totally satisfying! And it’s very green making it the perfect morning after the biggest and most delicious meal of you life kind of smoothie for breakfast/lunch/snack.

I mean just take a look at that totally bright (and almost too green) green colour. Isn’t it just fabulous?

And it’s fabulous for you too!!

MORE ABOUT THIS GREEN APPLE SMOOTHIE RECIPE…

Spinach, apple, banana, pineapple and lemon all blended together in one totally tasty, super smoothie loaded with vitamins, minerals and fibre and that’s totally gluten free and pretty easy to make too!

This recipe makes enough for 1 large-ish smoothie, which for me is totally fine – it’s big enough to be able to feel satisfied but not quite big enough to share. 

I always start my green smoothies off by blending my greens with some of the smoothie liquid – so here it was the spinach with the almond milk. This, for me, is key to a smooth green smoothie. It’s just a little step I take to make sure there aren’t any leaves of spinach floating around in my glass… because that is the worst!!

My green of choice for green smoothies will always be baby spinach. It’s so delicate and mild in flavour and not bitter at all which makes it super easy to hide the taste and the texture. You can experiment with other greens here but I will always choose spinach.

I seriously love the slightly sweet-slightly tart thing going on here. The banana and the honey for just a touch of sweet. And the Granny Smith apple (with the seeds and core removed and the skin left on) and the pineapple and the lemon juice for a touch of tart.

Just like candy.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (packed) baby spinach
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk or water, divided (plus more to thin if necessary)
  • 1 small frozen banana (or about 1/2 cup of frozen banana slices)
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks (or use mango, peaches or more banana)
  • 1/2 cup diced fresh apple (about 1/2 an apple; I used a Granny Smith Apple)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon honey (or other liquid sweetener like maple syrup or agave), or to taste
  • Handful of ice cubes, optional
  • Optional Add-ins - 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds

Instructions

  1. In a blender, food processor or NutriBullet add spinach and 1/2 cup of almond milk or water. Blend until smooth. (I like blending to the spinach first to avoid any spinach chunks in my smoothie - even in my Vitamix I still find the odd leaf.)
  2. Add banana, pineapple or other fruit, apple, lemon, honey, 1/4 cup of remaining almond milk or water and ice (and any add-ins like seeds). Blend until a smooth and creamy consistency is reached.
  3. Serve immediately.

Notes

Nutritional information does not include optional add-ins.



No comments:

Post a Comment